Monday, April 8, 2013

Rainy Days and Mondays

Of course, it really doesn't matter to me if it's raining or a Monday. Every day is a good day. Got lots of errands to run today yet, but had a bit of time to post. Btw, who sang that song (Rainy Days and Mondays)? No cheating now. Don't open Google in a new tab and look, unless you truly are stumped. Think 1970s and girl drummer. Let me know if you knew. ; )

Have you checked out Susan's blog posts lately over at Simplicity? Another brilliant mind and card maker extraordinaire in blogland, and I would imagine IRL too. I enamored with her beautiful CAS style, and she's got some brilliant tips for using up the old stash. Head over to her blog and have a peek. I won't tell you what she's posted the last couple of days, but trust me, you'll be going "dang!, why didn't I think of that!"

Onto the cardy stuff....I wanted to play with the sophisticated colors over at the Playdate Cafe. Had a sweet scrap of chevron paper that just called my name again. And you know me...I had to listen. First, let's look at the colors from PDCC:




When my niece gets married next year, I'm dreaming of that gray color. A shantung silk suit, with maybe just a splash of lime--a bracelet or pin...Anyway, these colors are dreamy, don't you think?  I couldn't resist. And I paired the colors with Retro Sketches #58. Great sketch for what was pinging around inside my skull (no migraines with the pinging today!!) 


At first I thought I couldn't come up with the right combination of elements for this card sketch. Then, what do you know, they pinged right into place. See what you think:


I've used Bazzill white for the card base and slate color for the mat behind the SU chevron paper, and the larger of the two flags. A polaroid frame from Studio Calico, with a little flair button from Dear Lizzy (and it's our dear Lizzy's 15th birthday today too!), a random scrap of dp for the smaller flag, a random button, a scrap of brown polka dot dp, and a bit 'o twine from MME. This was fun to make. Happy dances everyone!

10 comments:

xiumaiyuki said...

Me! Me! The Carprenters. :) that is one of my fav songs from them along with Yesterday Once More and Close To You.

Back to this cool card. Love the neutral colors and the mix of chevrons and polka dots... they look awesome together!

Greta said...

This is just terrific! Great use of the PDCC colors!

Geri said...

"dang, why can't I come up with an absolutely elegant color combo Like this?" Yep, this is stunning Bev! The beige and grey look gorgeous together but it is the splash of the almost maroon color that you have so expertly 'tossed into the mix' that makes this card score some mighty high marks! Love it.

BTW, your outfit for the wedding sounds delightful - especially the splash of lime!

Kim Heggins said...

Wow...what an amazing card! Fabby colors and that photo frame is so fun. Love it!!!

cm said...

Wow! I hear you with the 'painful pinging', although mine aren'f from migraines - poor you! - but from frustration when what I envision making doesn't translate into what I end up making. Grrrr...You, however, have 'pinged' an outstanding card. From colours, to layout, to your accompanying post: entirely delightful! Love it! Off to check out Simplicity. Have an excellent day; looking forward to seeing/reading more of your creative genius!

Susan Raihala said...

Aww, Bev. Thanks so much for the call out!

Your card is fabulous! What a great use of the colors and sketch together, and I am particularly impressed that it's such a masculine card (those are so hard!) yet also so pretty. Genius!

Darnell said...

I very - okay, never - get these song things. I know a song if I hear it, but not if I see it, if that makes any sense. But when you said "girl drummer," that could only be Karen Carpenter and once I had the name, here came the song into my heard. Right? I'll go back up and read the other comments. (The Carpenters' "We've Only Just Begun" was our wedding song.)

Thanks for the fun of that and for the inspiration of your beautiful card, which I'm happy to hear didn't cause any migraines! (And I totally agree with you about that gray suit you've envisioned for the wedding!)

Lindsey said...

The Carpenters, of course! One of the very few women voices that I love, and I'm happy that this song is now stuck in my head. :) Beautiful card. This color palette would have totally stumped me. Oh, and thanks for the blog recommendation...CAS I love, using up old supplies even better...I'm off to check it out. :)

Donna B. said...

Great take on these colors! Love the Polaroid frame! Thanks for playing at The Play Date Cafe.

maria f. said...

p.s. I knew... The Carpenters Christmas album is one of my faves. Listen to it every year...