Monday, July 22, 2013

The new toy works!!

It's official. The Cricut Expressions machine has found a new home up at church, and my new toy, the Silhouette Cameo is sitting right next to me, even as I type. She's so pretty. And darn it all....I'm figuring it out pretty well. At least as far as I've needed it. She's a good girl, and even sings to me!! Who knew??!!

I've got one card for two challenges today. What started out with circles and a tag has morphed into something completely different. I know I'm not alone when what I create turns out (at least in my mind) blecchhh, and then it has a short rest on the desk. After it's little nap, a bit o' cussing (the kind Fred Flintstone used only, no 'real' words), and a completely different direction, I reworked it. And then did it all over again. And again. But my kitchen inspired me...the newish glass tile backsplash. You'll see where I'm going with this in a sec. First I'm playing over at CAS - Colours and Sketches. They've got a Fallish color palette going on over there, and I really need some cool here. Check out the colors:


I didn't have anything quite like Summer Starfruit, but I think I came pretty close with my color choice. And over at Little Tangles, they've got a fun challenge that I knew, without a doubt, that I wanted to partake in (isn't that just a fun word...partake...kind of cracks me up...). 


At Little Tangles, we are supposed to use some kind of wood or natural materials when making our card. See what you think. I've got wood veneer, browns, and leaves. I've used the colors for the first challenge too. Even though it took a few tries, I'm liking how it turned out.


It's a thank you card. I don't remember who made the dp, I've had it for several years, and is reversible as you can tell. The base and small cream colored squares are SU, and some unknown brown card stock scraps. Studio Calico made the little lady, Neat & Tangled stamps, and some of my favorite unusual fun stuff -- drywall tape. That cracks me up....Happy dances everyone!

I also want to send out a thank you to Nina over at Waffle Flower Paper Crafts. I was a very lucky girl, and my comment was drawn at random to win the AE Texture Tiles: Be Cool set. Anyone out there hear me scream this morning?!!

13 comments:

Bobby said...

Looks like there are congrats all around - for finishing up your great card, winning the stamp set, and figuring out how to use your Cameo. I wish I was as lucky with the Portrait. My first attempt wasn't the best and I haven't been back to it.

~amy~ said...

Such an awesome card! Thanks for playing with us at Little Tangles!

Kim Heggins said...

Congrats on your toy! I am really looking forward to seeing all your wonderful creations you make with your cameo. Your card is too cute too, love those colors and your little wooden lady!

Hannelie said...

Yeah!
Wishing you many happy hours of creating with the new toy!
Love your card today! yummy earth tones...

Kylie said...

Woohoo! Congrats on your new toy. Aren't they amazing machines! I just love mine. Cannot wait to see how you inspire us all with your creations.

Speaking of inspiration, I love your new card. The colours are so warm and lovely. The design is so clever.

Oh and congrats on winning the stamp set too. What a great set!

June Houck said...

Oh, a Silhouette! I have not jumped to that yet; I am still using my Cricut pretty faithfully and it has been good to me...but it does not sing ;)

I am a huge fan of using both ancient papers and scraps; and you made it trendy and cool with your wood veneer potty person. I am so happy that you linked up at Little Tangles.

Geri said...

Wow! What a week... a new machine that sings to you and some sweet new stamps courtesy of Waffle Flower Paper Crafts!

So if Fred Flinstone words spark such creativity, then I'm definitely going to be mumbling some phrases while sitting at my craft desk! This card is fabulous (as I'm sure the first one was too!!!). Gotta love that drywall tape and the texture it adds. Plus, it works perfectly with the leaves and the veneer!

Yep, winner, winner.....

Patricia Hays said...

You have a lot of really neat texture going on here with the drywall tape and the wood. Thanks for sharing your card with us at CAS - Colours and Sketches. :)

Jacqueline said...

A lovely card - great colours and textures. Thanks for joining in this week at CC&S - Jacqueline xx

karen h said...

Cool card! Love the squares in squares :) Great mix of textures! Thanks for playing along with us at CAS Colours & Sketches!

cm said...

Several rounds of applause coming your way, with the first (whistles and cheering added) for your card! Looks like the Fred Flintstone cussing worked! Fantastic! Second hearty meeting of hands: your new singing toy! Looking forward to what amazing eye-candy the two of you concoct for us! Third - and a *woot woot* added: congrats on the stamp win! They look amazing! Oh yes - one more: for being a great-aunt! How awesome++++
Hugs,
c

Louise van Vuren said...

Great use of the colours from our colour challenge at CC&S. Love the contemporary feel to your card too. Thanks for playing along this week

Louise xx

Unknown said...

Awesome layout!!! I love the split sentiment and of course the wood veneer icon. Thanks for joining us at Little Tangles!