Thursday, June 5, 2014

Feeling like a Disney Princess

The last several days, whenever I step outside, I feel like a Disney Princess. All the little critters in my backyard, and those of my neighbors, seem to know I'm there, and aren't afraid. Chipmunks, squirrels, rabbits, and nearly all kinds of birds just see me and go "Oh, it's her. She won't hurt us." Just this morning a bunny hopped back and forth a dozen times, all within 2 feet of me. He eyed me, but didn't care that I was standing right there. Go figure...One of these days, the chipmunks, squirrels, and rabbits are going to sit on my lap and the birds will perch on my arms and shoulders, and I'll be obligated to burst into song with full orchestra accompanying me. Now all I need is a fancy ball gown, a fairy godmother granting me wishes, and a prince charming... oh, wait! I already have one of those (awwww.....)!

I was gone over the weekend to my niece's wedding, and had running to do the first three days this week. Hence, I've been pretty much absent from blogland. Making up for it a bit today, however. I've got a couple of cards for several challenges, so bear with me.


Card number one is going into The Card Concept, and Seize the Sketch. TCC has an awesome color palette including a couple of my favorite colors, yellow and gray. It feels Clean and Layered to me. And a fantastic sketch at STS:

  

And my card...



Looks purple, doesn't it? Trust me, the panel behind the frame is this lovely deep gray, and the bicycle paper is not lavender, it really is light gray. (crap!) Couldn't get the light to work for me, neither would Picasa cooperate... Neenah white base, scrap of deep gray and yellow, a (to use Geri's word) smick of MME Cut and Paste 6x6 dp, an SC wood veneer bike colored with a black marker, and some NBUS; LF Happy Trails stamps! I cut the frame with my MFT die, and used SU black in for my stamping.

The next card is for my dad, obviously. I'm lucky to still have him around. He's in great health, is as ornery as ever, and believe it or not, he still golfs 18 holes almost everyday whenever weather permits. Not bad for an almost 85 year-old! And yep, he still bowls in a league.
This one will go into Curtain Call, "Something Simple," Less is More, "use more than one stamp," CASual Fridays, "What a Catch," with no use of kraft and using ribbon, and CASology "Shine." Whew! My card is pretty simple, I used two stamps, it's masculine and uses ribbon, and there is shine...


"Less is More"


           


Here's my card:



Alrighty then. The stamps are from TAWS and I stamped the pins in SU black, then colored the bands with a couple of Copics. I did some masking, which was really quite fun. Then (be proud of me here...) I pulled out a remnant of watercolor paper and swirled some green and blue together and once it was dry, I used the SU black ink to stamp the bowling ball. There's a smick (thx for that word Geri) of navy ribbon from Michaels. Neenah base, panel, and sentiment. The sentiment is computer generated and edged with Copic green. I sure wish you could see it, but there really and truly is shine on this card. I covered the bowling ball with Glossy Accents, and that's where the shine part comes into play. Only you can't see it. (pooh!) And I'll stop here. Happy dances everyone.



28 comments:

AlisonC said...

I like the bike image and the trail. Happy sentiment. I want to see a photo when the birds perch on your arm!

Dee Miranda said...

I think we've all had those days when the lighting just doesn't want to cooperate. :P
Your card is still very cute! :)

Margaret said...

Two great cards Bev but I particularly like your LIM entry
Margaret x (Guest Designer LIM)

Deepti said...

These are amazing cards, I love the trail behind the cycle and great masking on ur second card :) by the way I could imagine u like a Disney princess but much more cute than the actual one. I wish I had a backyard like yours where I could experience the true spring :) we love in a condo with a little patio, though we still have squirrel as our frequent visitor !

Ardyth said...

have you watched Enchanted? If not, do it. It's a real-life Disney movie with scenes like you describe - so funny. And McDreamy. And Susan Sarandon as the evil witch! It's so much fun! Love the cards!

Tracey McNeely said...

Glad to know I am not the only one enamored with the sweet little critters in the backyard. I am enjoying all the birds this week even though they have eaten more than my son did at 16! LOL Love your sweet bicycle paper and the postage stamp frame. Thank you so much for joining us at the Card Concept!

Ardyth said...

I was supposed to 'officially' comment on both of these, so I'm back to say that not only do I like them but that I'm glad you joined us at The Card Concept and CASology this week, my friend!

Darnell said...

Way to go making that bowling bowl look so real, Bevie! And for making this fit in so many challenges!! I am left with this idyllic vision of you with all the furry critters and birds in your yard gathered around your sweetness! Hugs, Darnell

wienerhoneymooners said...

I agree that your bowling ball is amazing, and looks like one I use, is that a size 8? LOL!!! We sometimes have bunnies about...Happy crittery Spring BEV!!!

Thanks for joining us as always, I enjoy it, as CASology!!!

Geri said...

...okay - the bowling ball is definitely in the same 'league' as your amazing water droplet card! I love how you carried wee 'schmicks' of blue & green throughout the card without stealing the limelight from the amazing bowling! An amazing card for an AMAZING man!

"happy trails" - truly a happy card! The sweet wee 'now black' veneer bike is awesome with that DP. Nice touch to angle the DP feature!

I can totally picture you making friends with all the little critters! They know that they are in the company of a good, kind & caring soul!

Sazzle Dazzle said...

2 fantastic cards Bev and I particularly love the bowling one and fabby sentiment.
Thanks for taking part
Sarah
Less is more

Cindy H. said...

Okay, you had me smiling through your whole description of the Disney Land experience in your own back yard - loved it! I also love your bowling card. The bowling ball is so authentic looking right down to the shine I know is there. Great job on masking the pins, too.

Chrissie said...

What a terrific card!
Thanks so much
Chrissie
"Less is More"

Katie Melhus said...

I'm so jealous of your Disney Princess-hood - those critters sound awesome! Both your cards reflect your cheery mood with their bright freshness - So glad you joined us at Seize the Sketch!

Anne said...

Super cards Bev!
Thank you for joining us this week at Less is More
Anne LIM Designer

Anita in France said...

What a happy wee bicycle card, Bev ... love that sweet little veneer trail bike! Your watercoloured, glossy accented bowling ball is completely awesome ... it's just like the real thing ... but lighter! I can so picture you with all those little critters clustered around you, my friend, all happy simply because they're there with you! Hugs, Anita :)

Marybeth said...

Bev, you are too funny and I can just see you in the back yard. I do have a vision ,just not with the ball gown on yet.

Love both cards ,the one with the purple,(no I mean grey) is adorable . Love the bike . Bowling card is wonderful! Thanks for joining us at Seize The Sketch.

Mona Pendleton said...

Fantastic cards! Thanks for joining along with Seize the Sketch! Please feel free to visit my blog: http://cupcakescreations.blogspot.com/

Judy1223 said...

So funny about your yard, I have been having the same experience! I actually went out front the other day to go to my card and the momma bunny that lives in our yard sat and watched me walk around her! Not scared at all...I thought maybe she wanted to come with me for the ride! Your card is wonderful, that bowling ball looks like the real deal! Thanks for playing along at CASology!

Judy1223 said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kim Heggins said...

So do we call you Cinderella now? How fun to have all your little critter greet you when you go outside. Your cards are fabulous and I love your little bicycle, so cute! and your bowling card...wow! love that ball.

maria f. said...

Fabulous card for Dad. And for the CASual Fridays challenge!

Jen W. said...

A shiny bowling ball and a great pun - I love it! Thanks for playing along with CASology this week!

And I sure hope there's a camera ready when you have your Disney Princess moment - that would be so cool to see! :D

stampwithsandy said...

What a cute card! Love the little bicycle at the bottom. Thanks for playing along this week at Seize the Sketch, Bev!

cm said...

I started a comment yesterday ,then I don't know if it was eaten, or I got distracted but poof..gone! Anyway, first on tap: ride that adorable, fabulous bike card straight over to Addicted to CAS's "transport" theme! Yours fits perfectly. Your second card has 'bowled' me over with delight! And the image of you, attired in your pretty princess gown, being fawned over by wee critters (no bears or cougars!), awaiting your Prince Charming to join you (he's off getting you chocolate treats in my version of this story), makes me dizzy happy! Love. this. post. (actually, I love all your posts, but you know what I mean!). Mega hugs~c

Jingle said...

This is so fun! I love your bowling ball! Thanks so much for playing along with us over at CAS-ual Fridays!

itsallrosi said...

a perfect guy card and great coloring of the bowling ball!

Thanks for playing along with the CAS-ual Fridays challenge!

donna mikasa said...

Awesome cards, Bev! I especially love how your bowling ball turned out--it looks so real! Thanks for linking up to CASual Fridays!