Saturday, July 19, 2014

Attitude adjustment

Yesterday afternoon, I was crabby. Ugly crabby. Good thing the kids are grown and gone, and that we no longer have any pets. It was silly really. Wanna know how silly??? On the new diet prescribed by my doctor, I read that if I eat one of my favorite healthy snacks, walnuts, that one quarter cup of them would almost equal a full meal in terms of beneficial eating. Many of us with migraine headaches cannot eat many seeds, nuts, or whole grain things. Walnuts, for me, don't trigger migraines. And I actually like them! So as soon as I saw that walnuts are pretty much on a no-no list, dark clouds complete with thunder and lightning, high winds and hail, surrounded me. Oh, I was ugly. DH asked what was wrong, I said why and that as a result I was crabby. He said, "I'll stay out of your way, then." I needed an attitude adjustment. It took a good night's sleep and this morning I'm fine. So I can't have walnuts for a while...really wasn't worth wasting a good 'crab' on, and I'll be able to eat a few now and then. Life is back to sunshine. You all really didn't need to know that did you? Sorry. I guess the reason I mention it, is because we all go through hard-for-us things. And while this was only walnuts, anyone on a migraine diet can tell you exactly how limited their diet is, and how when one thing is taken away, it feels like a really big deal. We need to push through the negative emotions, put our trust fully and completely in God, and find those things no matter how small to rejoice about. So this morning, I rejoice that I have a cup of iced coffee in front of me! And that I am truly blessed in countless ways!

Card, you ask?? Why yes! I do have a card, in fact, I have two to share this morning! Something else for me to rejoice in! I made these yesterday right before the "walnut incident." Then because of the resulting crabbiness, I didn't photograph them until a few minutes ago. (I'm such a knob...I can almost see you nodding, Sue...but since we're related...guess what???, you are too! HA!) They are both very CAS. Enjoyed making them very much. The first card will go into ColorQ, with an amazing color palette, and also into CAS(E) This Sketch. The second one will go over to City Crafter's Challenge Blog, where we're to use some chipboard on our projects. EZPZ for me...I have what feels like tons of chipboard leftover from years of scrapbooking.



City Crafter Challenge Blog

Card #1


Neenah white base, a scrap of black, and a scrap of white. These are some of the stamps from my "Tracey enabled" order...I just have to chuckle about that... They're from PTI. I stamped them in SU black, and colored them in with various markers. CAS, EZPZ!

Card #2


This one also started with a Neenah white base. I cut another black scrap with a TE polaroid die, and added the chipboard circle to its center. A (not "Tracey enabled") PTI stamp, using SU black ink, and three Michaels sequins. Psshht! Done! Another EZPZ card. And since I've held you up long enough with this post, go and enjoy your Saturday. Happy dances everyone!


21 comments:

Bobby said...

I'm sorry to tell you I was eating walnuts when I read your post. I usually pick almonds but it was a new bag of walnuts so there are more of them. ;) I know what you mean about not being able to eat certain things, but for a different reason.

I think you channeled Ardyth for your first card. It is graphially stunning. I love the red, white and black of the second one. Have a great weekend, Bev.

Lynn said...

Bev, you know what...I think every once in a while we need a crabby day. It's okay to be frustrated. And if it only took a couple days to get through it, then well done my friend. I had a very crabby work time for about 2 months...feel like I'm through it now, but have to check myself. And migraines are horrible. Sending hugs to you my friend. Two fabulous card...love the pops of color on both of them and on the second one you could enter that in the Cutting Edge challenge too.

Susanne Vargas said...

I can totally understand being crabby when told that certain foods are off limits! It sounds like you don't have to give up walnuts forever, though, so that's good. Hopefully it will help with whatever that new diet is for!
Your CAS cards are both fabulous. Love especially the first one - such a great take on the ColorQ challenge picture!

Ardyth said...

You nailed that colour challenge my friend - I predict this card as winner! As for the walnuts, sometimes we just need time to process and get back into our right mind. It's ok to be grumpy for a little while, but good to get perspective again!

Kim Heggins said...

Fabulous cards Miss Bev! I love them both, so bright and full of sunshine. Sorry you had a food issue, I too have several and know just how you feel. But like you said, you are so blessed and it is only food, right? Take care and enjoy your weekend and safe travels.

Lyn said...

Gorgeous cards both of them. I have struggled all my life with food and weight issues. I am now diabetic and nuts are a great snack food for me but so very hard to stop at 20gms :). YOur so right we have so much to be thankful for but sometimes those little things are big to us for a while.

Unknown said...

Love your CAS creation! Sorry you had a cranky day....I totally get it & have plenty of cranky days myself! Sending hugs!

Kim S said...

The cards are truly fun. I love how you have added the colors to the "&" - it's so fun! I'm sorry about the walnuts. I always want things 10x more when they are taken away. And you started from such a limited place to begin with - you deserved a crabby day!

Tracey McNeely said...

Crabby days are good for us, I honestly believe that. Sorry that Walnuts is on the no no list. :( For me tonight's mini migraine is compliments of driving on the highway in the pouring rain after having such a wonderful day! Card #1 just rocks Bev, I love your super creative colouring! Card numero 2 is a fantastic polaroid! Thank you so much for sharing with us at the colourQ!

Kylie said...

Oh Bev! HUGS!! You're allowed to vent...you NEVER do and you have every reason to with those yucky YKW's giving you such a hard time.

Your cards are AMAZING! Love the clean, crisp, graphic look. I can't do that - but you've nailed it. Inspiring!!

hugs!

Darnell said...

It's hard for me to believe you get really crabby over anything, Bevie. Frustrated, yes, but not thunder and lightning crabby. Your cards certainly reflect sunshine and happiness! I love them both! I'm calling winner for sure on that ampersand CASlicious beauty!!

I'm finally catching up on my visiting and I've really loved and enjoyed scrolling back through the posts I've been missing here! Tomorrow we have company again so it'll be another week of falling behind, but that's gonna happen in the summertime!

Enjoy your nuts! Hugs, Darnell

Jacquie Southas said...

Food restrictions make me crabby - I really hope it does help limit the migraines for you. I absolutely adore your Ampersand card - it really is perfect!

Anonymous said...

Well I have food restrictions...sugar and now salt.....Whats left :-(

I Love your card!Thanks so much for sharing your talent with us this week at CCCB :-)

Leigh Penner said...

Oh, I'm so sorry to hear that you can't eat walnuts on your diet -- that would be very frustrating!
Your cards are fabulous, Bev -- great takes on the sketch!

Ros Crawford said...

Oh what beautiful cards ... I love the simplicity ... and that's not easy to do! I hope you're feeling happier and at least it will all be worth it ... Thanks so much for joining us this week at CCCB!!

maria f. said...

Hope you snuck a walnut today...Oh you rocked white space here, Bev. I'd bet on that ampersand taking the jackpot! And you can probably imagine my surprise when you mentioned PCS mag in your comment. Holy crap! They don't warn you about stuff like that! Fell off my chair. Thanks for your sweet comment, girlfriend.

Kirsty Vittetoe said...

Absolutely fun, thanks for sharing with us at CCCB!

Anita in France said...

Oh my goodness, Bev ... that ampersand is stunning, glorious, beautiful, perfect ... I love, love love it! It's pinned! The globe card is so striking ... bold, fresh and crisp! Sorry about the walnut ban, ... getting crabby about it is just fine ... especially when you do it in such a sweet way! Hugs, Anita :)

cm said...

Oh Bev, I'm sorry to hear that your much-loved walnuts are off your eating regime for a while. Hopefully, that's a temporary situation and you can return to eating them with gusto. Sharing your crabby state: thank you for being so honest! I, too, have ultra crabby moments, over things that truly aren't significant (I'm feeling that way now...ready to go home! *grin*), especially when I feel like I'm being pressured to do things that I don't want to do, or eat what I don't want to eat. Attitude adjustment required here! Your cards are going a long way in helping with that. The ampersand is an innovative, inspired take on that pretty dress. Your second one is red, black and white eye-catching fabulous! And the sentiment: sending it straight back to you! YOU are the best: thanks!! Hugs~c

Lisa Elton said...

Terrific cards Bev, love the fist one, so crisp! Thanks so much for joining us at the ColourQ! I think we ALL have those kind of days now and again. You would probably feel the earth move if I was told no more chocolate!!

Sylvia said...

What a fun card, Bev, and you didn't let your mood affect your creativity! As for why, just wait until they tell you , you can't eat nuts(my favorite, pecans) because you have diverticulitis. As we get older life can be more difficult, I can't eat chili's or salsa any more as well. I try to focus on the positive, but you are right, it helps to know that there are others out there with problems much or worse than our own. Thanks for sharing your story and you card with us at the colourQ.