Friday, July 18, 2014

Lighting Schmighting!!

It's a beautiful sunny day here in Southeastern Wisconsin. The sky is that perfect shade of blue. Big, white puffy clouds occasionally drift by. You'd think that on a day like today, I could get a really good photo...but nooooooooooo! The square card seemed to cooperate better than the A2 card. However, I managed, I think, to finally get it right.

So last week I started cleaning and tidying my craft room. decided to skip the tall cupboard, but move and clean all the rest of the surfaces, drawers, and counter/desk spaces. I've made it to the desk top. That's oh, mmm, about 1/2 way around the room. On my desk is an "in" basket. Full to overflowing. Decided I had to work with absolutely everything in there. Today I finally made it to the bottom. A 4" x 4" white card base. And I am now ready to move around to the next counter space, the armoire, and the 16 drawers of paper. But not today...this afternoon is get-to-the-rose-beds day. Blecchhhhh. It's past time...

I did take the morning hours to make a couple of cards though. The first one will go into CASology and also into Keep it simple, a new-to-me challenge. The second one will go over to Curtain Call. CC is celebrating their first anniversary, and so a big congratulations to you!!! They've got an awesome inspiration photo, and the DT has come up with some amazing cards. Be sure to celebrate along with them!! Oh!, and they've offered some very cool prizes too. Check it out!!




My first card goes along with the first two challenges. And who wouldn't want a hippo (or two) for a pet??


Looks crooked, doesn't it? Trust me, it's pretty darn straight...it's just the way I had to photograph it. Dagnabbit! There's that little recycled square base, onto which I laid my ME scalloped frame die. It fit on the long side, so I was able just to die cut the bottom edge. The inside has a piece of vellum that happens to match the circle of vellum over the little hippos. I used my WPlus9 circle die and cut the white cs circle and vellum circle at the same time. This sweet little hippo stamp cost me all of $.99 at The Scrapbook Store in Milwaukee. It's from Imaginisce. Inked the edges of the circle and the hippos with ME smoke ink, and used an old SU stamp with the same ink for the sentiment. A shimmery blue bow and done.

Next up is that A2 card. It's sooo pretty irl....


Remember yesterday's post where I blamed Tracey for enabling me? Well this die and sentiment stamp are part of that crumbled resolve purchase. How could I possibly resist???!!! Obviously I didn't. PTI is happy, I am happy, all's right with the world! I started with a Neenah white base, and used a heart from the other set I ordered from PTI and created my own background. I used varying pressures to get light and dark images. Some of the light ones have been brushed with a bit of Wink of Stella. Not sure where I got those sequins, but I do love the pastelly holographicky (new words Darnell!) shimmer they have. I layered the "happy" and like how that turned out. The pinkish beneath the 'happy' was done with a finger dauber and some Versacolor ink. Same ink for the sentiment. The hearts are inked in a pretty aquaish Colorbox. And I think that's it...Have a great weekend everyone.


14 comments:

Lynn said...

Hope those rose bushes don't keep you away from the craft room for too long! Too adorable cards. I love those hippos!

Patti said...

Great cards!! : ) the pictures turned out very nice! It is true - cloudy days are really better for even lighting : )

Good for you for getting so cleaned up! now you will have a blast messing everything back up again : )

Bev, I wanted to thank you so much!! for all the sweet comments you left for me during my 100 card sin 100 days challenge. It has been a great pleasure meeting my Wisconsin "neighbor" I look forward to all your playful posts : )

Have a great weekend!

Patti

Anita in France said...

Quite right, Bev, who wouldn't want one (or both) or these adorable hippo's for a pet! Oh my, that happy card ... such delicious colours, such sweet hearts, sooo gorgeous! Hugs, Anita :)

I Card Everyone said...

Cute cards, Bev! Did you get a hippopotamus for Christmas???
=] Michele

Bobby said...

I love your pastelly cards, Bev. So glad cleaning and gardening didn't get in the way of crafting. ;)

Kim S said...

I suckered for that die too! I convinced myself it would be very, very useful - and so far, I have used it exactly once!! I do love your soft colors - even the holographicky sequins work perfectly!

Susanne Vargas said...

What a sweet baby card! No, it doesn't look crooked to me! But I know the feeling, sometimes I take pictures of my cards and when I upload them they look crooked!
And that happy die is now on my wishlist. Should I blame you or Tracey when I buy it, I wonder...

Kylie said...

And I'm happy too as I get to see more wonderful cards from you. It's a win win win situation. :) The little hippo stamp is ADORABLE!! Seriously cute! And the Happy Anniversary card is just so sweet. I love that you are able to create such varied and amazing cards!

Kim Heggins said...

So you have a pair of hippo's for pets???? This is just too funny and I love your sweet card. Your second card is just as adorable and I have to agree with you regarding Tracey, no matter what her hands touch, it is so beautiful and makes you want more!

Jen W. said...

Two gorgeous cards, Bev, and that hippo/baby card is especially sweet! Thanks for playing along with CASology this week!

Marisa said...

Two great cards. Those baby hippos are adorable! Thanks for joining us at The Curtain Call.

Judy1223 said...

Bev, what a great post! I wish I had rose bushes to tend to...they just don't like the lighting we get in my yard. I do LOVE your two cards, and I got a chuckle from your other post regarding Tracey (sorry I wasn't around to comment, just returned from vacation!). Your hippo baby card is so cute! Great image, great soft colors, so CAS, too! Thanks for joining us at CASology!

Tanja said...

Aawwwww - the hippos are sooooo cute. Perfect cas! Thank you for joining us at KIS!

cm said...

Hello, dear friend! First, I'm a shade envious that you have a crafting room to clean (I know - I'm weird that way!), and that doing so uncovered a smattering of cool things awaiting attention. Second, that pair of hippos are absolutely darling! A couple that size would be awesome as pets. Can you just picture taking them for walks? Your 'Tracey's to blame' card is pure delight! You've worked magic here, Bev! And I imagine your rose bushes are receiving some tender loving care, and are absolutely gorgeous! Hugs~c