Saturday, July 26, 2014

Potato Salad

Do you like potato salad?? American Potato Salad or German Potato Salad? Me, I'll go with the American version. Now. Mayonnaise or Miracle Whip? My sister Sue's recipe for potato salad, besides being the best in the WORLD, is the only way that Miracle Whip passes these lips. Guess what I'm making today? Yep. Potato Salad - Sue's recipe. Her baby granddaughter turned one yesterday, and there's a party in a park tomorrow. I volunteered to bring this; it's a family favorite. So while I wait for the eggs and potatoes to cook, I'll blog. Seems like the perfect way to not watch the pots!

Yesterday, I started two cards. The first one you'll see was tough. Not because the challenge was tough, but rather, I kept smearing the *$#^%@!*&%$* ink. Once I even dropped a loaded stamp on the ready panel. *sigh* So last night, I quit. And today, ONE try. ONE. Guess I should have given up sooner last night. This is for the Muse Challenge. And before I go any further, I'd like to say a big thank you to all who voted for my last Muse Card. There were so many gorgeous cards, truly. So "thanks" for this honor. I'm humbled and delighted all at the same time. Marion Vagg has this little sweetie pie of a card this week. Simply darling. Loved it the second I saw it. Whimsical is the term that came to my mind, and I loved the hand drawn lines. I don't have an owl, except maybe a Halloween one, so went in a completely different direction.



The one I FINALLY came up with is a baby boy card. And while it took a while to make it to my liking, I really, really enjoyed the process. Taught me that I don't always have to "color inside the lines."

First check out some of the boo-boos:


They turned into 'scratch' paper...


It's a 4.25 x 4.25" square with a 3.75 x 3.75 focal panel. With a couple of blue Copics and my AC markers, I free ?drew? the borders, letting them just flow as they would. The stamps are Gina K., stamped in SU black and colored with two yellow copics. Mounted on my ever present Neenah white base.

Next I've got a card for Fusion's latest challenge. Did my best to use both the photo and the sketch. This also fills the bill for Simon Says Wednesday Challenge, Emboss It! 


Simon Wednesday Challenge Blog

Used to have a kitchen in almost these colors. Really like them too!!


I took a page out of Virginia's book and used some brighter colors stamped and embossed on vellum. They look softer in the photo, but they really do pop against the pink and green. Gina K. flower stamps, first stamped in TH embossing ink, then dabbed with some pink Color Box. Dusted with Ranger Holographic EP. Die cut some green vellum with an MFT leaf. SU ribbon. WPlus9 sentiment with Ranger Sap Green ink. The pink and green panels are scraps. 

And I have one last card to share. This one is for Avery Elle's latest challenge to use a die cut as well as for Time Out. 

Challenge 12


Sooo much to choose from in this fun photo! 


I printed some dp from two of my Silhouette files - the large stripes and the small polka dots. I attached the large stripes to my Neenah white base, and then die cut the polka dots with an MFT die. Some orange striped washi tape, some SC star sequins, and an AE sentiment (LOVE this set!!!) with ME Hazel ink. And since I've kept you long enough, I'll shut up now. Happy dances everyone!


19 comments:

Ardyth said...

Great projects! I am so glad you persevered with your Muse card - it's perfect! Clearly inspired, but equally clearly your own! Great to have you join us this week, my friend!

Craftychris said...

Some fabulous cards here, you have been busy and your potato salad sounds yummy! xx

Susanne Vargas said...

I love potatoe salad. Of course, I make a German one, my mother's recipe (hers is always better, though). A friend of mine here likes it so much she always requests it when we go camping. Your sister's recipe sounds delicious, too. Do you think she would allow you to share it?
Sorry, that the first card gave you so much trouble! I'm glad you didn't give up and made this sweet baby card!
Love those vellum flowers on the second card! And how wonderful that you had the perfect scraps in your stash!
And the third one is just plain cheerful and fun! Great take on the inspiration picture!

Tenia Nelson said...

Wonderful cards!!

Anonymous said...

Your cards are fabulous Bev, gotta say you made me laugh when you got the card 'in one' the next day, funny the way things work sometimes. Have fun at the party!

Karen M said...

Love all your gorgeous cards Bev -all fab! xx

Aileen said...

Love the three cards Bev, and I am so glad you perservered with the first card. The end result was perfect. I could never have tried that many times, I would have killed someone or something close to hand before I got there.
My niece married a young man with german heritage, his nana makes the most unbelievable warm potato salad I try very hard to avoid it orrrrr eat asmuch as possible.

sandie said...

Great collection of cards and the mix of patterns is so perfect for our challenge at TIME OUT, patterns is all I could see when I looked at the photo...and I am a German pot. salad girl!!
Thanks for joiningus at TIME OUT x

Anita in France said...

Oh Bev, you've captured the whimsical and sweet style of Marion's card so beautifully ... all that effort was so worth it! Gorgeous vellum blooms with a touch of sparkle ... and my goodness, what an awesome final card! Let's see ... polka dots ... stripes ... sequins ... a recipe for perfection, and that's just what you've got here, my friend! Talking of recipes ... potato salad ... think I need to plead ignorance ... not heard of American or German ... I make mine with creme fraiche and chives ... a smidgy bit wicked but very yummy! Hugs, Anita :)

Virginia L. said...

I LOVE potato salad!! Sounds yummy! The easy version here is the American way...I am so glad that you tried embossing on vellum! The flowers are absolutely soft and gorgeous, Bev! Awesome work on all of your cards!

Virginia L. said...

Forgot to to say...Thanks so much for playing Simon Says Stamp Wednesday Challenge! :)

Joyce said...

Oh, lots of fabulous cards on this post. Love your Muse--even your rejects were cute. I actually thought you were showing a set, until I read your write up. And, the vellum flowers are so dainty and elegant.

Kylie said...

Love potato salad - well, my version. lol I tend to only make it at Christmas though - don't know why that is.

Oh I SO feel for you with your bad run with your card. I am going through the same thing (which is why I am now reading blogs instead of creating!). In the end you nailed it, Bev! :)

And the pretty green and pink with the vellum flowers - lovely!

Onto your die cut card - I struggle with orange but you don't! LOVE this!

cm said...

WOW, WOW and WOW (and an extra for your potato salad excursion! I'm not a fan of either eggs or potatoes, so no salad of that nature for me. I do, however, make it on occasion for my husband, as he is a fan! You've sparked a 'surprise' idea for later this week...). Now these cards are amazing! Your perseverance with the Muse cards has paid off wonderfully; such a darling gem as the result. I've been having a run of 'meh' going on, too - the scrap paper heap is...heaping! Your fusion card is incredibly pretty! I may need to 'order' some flower stamps that I can vellum emboss and colour. So stunning! Time Out card = 'shut the front door' fabulous! Way to go in translating details from the photo into a smile-making card! You're rocking the challenges, my sweet friend. ROCKING!!
Hugs~c

wienerhoneymooners said...

WOW!!! Gorgeous! Lovely and softly sweet and gorgeous!!! Thanks for joining us Bev at FUSION, love it if you are able to join again Thursday for another lovely challenge!!!! Love seeing what you create!!!!!

wienerhoneymooners said...

PS Miracle whip! Love the TANG!

Beverley said...

Awesome collection of cards! I especially love the one for TO challenges, perfect interpretation of the inspiration photo :) Thanks for taking the TIME OUT and joining in on the fun. Hugs Bev x

Kim Heggins said...

Bev, I am not sure how I missed all these wonderful cards, you are just on a roll with so many beauties my friend. As for potato salad, not my cup of tea, I don't like mayonnaise at all! Now if I could use ketchup instead I might give it a go...LOL
Hope the part was fun and I am sure your potato salad was a big hit too.

Katie Gehring said...

Fabulous cards! I love the strips and polka dot banner on your Avery Elle card. Thank you so much for playing along with the AE die cut challenge!