Monday, July 7, 2014

Whew!

Some little time back, I saw that Jackie Rockwell was starting up not one, but TWO new challenges, The Cutting Edge Challenge, and Tag You're It Challenge. Missed playing the first round for both challenges due to commitments and a couple of things that came up without warning. This post will only have my card for The Cutting Edge. Hopefully by Tuesday I can post the other project for the Tag You're It Challenge. DT member Karolyn Loncon's card is our inspiration. Check this out!

TCEC_2


How cool is that??!! So much inspiration packed into one 4.25" x 5.5" card.... This one was a bit of a challenge for me, as I don't do too much watercoloring. Love it, just have difficulty with it. I've got another idea, and maybe it will come to fruition, hopefully by tomorrow. For today, I did manage a card, after only one toss in the bin...



Oh Darnell, be proud of me...it's mostly NBUS. Or maybe I should be ashamed of myself after breaking my self imposed ban on no new goodies for the month of July....well, in all fairness, I did order this at the end of June, so it really doesn't count if it arrived in July, does it?!!! Anyway... Started with a Neenah white base, then watercolored a bunch of stripes on a scrap of wc paper. Die cut the stripes with my NBUS SC 'birthday' die, plopped it on a strip of black, and then added the rest of the sentiment above it. That's also SC. Three MME enamel dots, and done.


Next up is my second card for the fun-filled Virginia's View Challenge. Die cuts over there, and my whole card is nothing but die cuts! A little boat, a little stitched circle, and a word. 



Every Wednesday, there's a regatta or sailing lessons or something with tons of sailboats on Lake Michigan. I can walk down to the end of my block (three whole houses) and sit on a bench and watch the sailboats as they float along the lake...very peaceful. Come on over, and we'll watch together!



Neenah white base, and ABSOLUTELY EVERY OTHER BIT OF PAPER IS FROM MY SCRAP BOX!!!! Yippee!! This was all cut with my Silhouette Cameo. I started out not really liking this card. But you know, the more I look at it, the more I like it. Must be one of those "grows on you" cards. And that's it for this post. Happy dances everyone.

Edited To Add:  Over in the Moxie Fab World, they're having a "Wonderful Words Challenge," with option of back linking (up to four weeks) cards. Thought that both of these cards would fit well! Thanks to Donna Mikasa for letting me know! You're the best!

22 comments:

Hannelie said...

Two great designs Bev! Love the rainbow in the 'birthday', and your sail boat is pretty awesome too!

Jackie Rockwell said...

Hi Bev, So glad you were able to pay along with us at The Cutting Edge Challenge!!! The word, "birthday" is so vibrant, love it.

Bobby said...

Whoa! I'm loving those stripes on the birthday cut. What is SC? I may have to get that die since most of mine are small. I think the boat design is great and I'd love to come watch them sail with you.

Darnell said...

You are too cute, Bevie! OF COURSE, I'm so PROUD of you! And positively drooling over the creativity in both of your sweet cards! I think you did an outstanding job with the watercolor streaking behind that fabulous die cut! (Which BTW could also go into Virginia's challenge, right?) And your CAS sailboat with the awesome sails is brilliant!

Dang, I didn't realize that you only had to walk a few steps to be sitting on a bench at the edge of Lake Michigan! WOW, such a blessing! I don't know how you keep from spending the whole day there on beautiful days!

Have a great week! Hugs! Dr. NBUS

Darnell said...

PS I just saw another blog which showed the new challenge at AAA Cards is watercolor techniques ... BAM!

Kim Heggins said...

Amazing my sweet friend and I am with Darnell, how can you just stay inside and be crafty. I am typically an in door gal but with this beautiful lake just a few short steps away, I might have to set up a little craft table at the bench.
So no new supplies in the month of July...wow, you are so good!
Now on to your cards, I love them both and I really love the idea of pulling all your paper from your scrap box...just amazing and so good of you to use what you already have. Not always the easiest of things to do. Enjoy your week and happy crafting!

donna mikasa said...

Wonderful cards, Bev! I love that rainbow colored sentiment! You can also enter Moxie Fab World's challenge--word dies!

Kylie said...

I'm so coming to visit you. :) Beautiful cards, Bev! You are amazing!

Kristie Goulet said...

Beautiful cards, Bev!

Virginia L. said...

LOOOOOOK at these blog friends...they are so helpful! I am so glad that they reminded you to enter the challenges, Bev! I adore that sail boat and it is perfect for this time of the year. Well done! Now if you are just near Lake MI, then I am not that far from you...I'm on the other side of the Lake , waving hi to you from Ontario! So glad that you join the fun over Virginia's View challenge!

Geri said...

AMAZING, AMAZING, AMAZING rainbow of colors! This is spectacular! The inks are blended together so gently and seamlessly! Seriously looks like a purchased embellie!

Oh yeah, Winner's circle coming up!

The navy & white striped sail paired with that lovely vibrant green steals the show! Sure am loving your shadowed letter technique - makes the word REALLY pop!

Anita in France said...

LOVE this, Bev ... my goodness, the most delicious striped die cut against the bold black ... soooo blissful! The wish book's about to come out to add that 'birthday' die to it! I'm just imagining sitting on that bench with you, my friend, watching the sailboats drift by ... your wonderful card's taking me there! Hugs, Anita :)

Aileen said...

Two beautiful cards Bev, totally love your water coloured word. New to your blog, will follow you thru Feedly. Was wondering if you have time if you could tell me the brand of the die you used. You have SS there and I'm not sure as I don't know all the companies. Thanks in advance.

Jen Mitchell said...

This is a great take on the inspiration photo! I LOVE that multicolored sentiment!

Julia said...

Absolutely love them both! The cutting edge card is so striking. The sailboat card is perfect for guy or gal. Beautiful!!

Leigh Penner said...

Oh, great cards, Bev! I especially love your take on the Cutting Edge Challenge!

Deepti said...

Gorgeous cards Bev! I love the rainbow sentiment on ur first card !

maria f. said...

You're dangerous... that's one awesome birthday die. I hadn't known it existed... Love the font of the sentiment stamp to go with it too. And I so would love to be on that bench at the end of your street. And I'd love to see sails like the ones on your card. We don't see many striped ones on Lake Huron anymore :(

Lisa A. said...

Hey, Bev...wonderful cards!! I especially love that birthday die you used on the first one...LOVE the bold, happy colors in the word!! So happy to have you join us at The Cutting Edge challenge:)!!

Taunya Butler said...

Both of these cards are amazing! I love the rainbow colored one - what gorgeousness!!

cm said...

Ooohhhh...that birthday card is such a feast for the eyes, with the striking colours of 'birthday' paired with the black background. Serious gorgeous happening here! Your second card...how I wish I could watch the boats sail with you. We could sip coffee, nibble on treats, and chat...for hours. Some day! Love both these cards. By the way, ordering in June, arriving in July means you've kept your self-imposed ban intact *grin* Now, ordering in July, arriving in August, in my view, is also in keeping with the ban *bigger grin* I'm alllll for 'enabling'...Hugs~c

Anonymous said...

These are absolutely wonderful, Bev!